Charlie Hunnam is having a spectacular month. His big-budget monsters vs. robots movie Pacific Rim is still in theaters worldwide, he returns to TV as Jax Teller on FX’s motorcycle drama Sons of Anarchy and he has won the role of Christian Grey in the highly anticipated Fifty Shades of Grey movie.
Some people who are not unabashed Charlie Hunnam fangirls (like I am) are questioning why he was cast as Christian Grey—there’s even a petition to take the role away from him. If you aren't familiar with him, or only know him as Jax Teller on Sons of Anarchy, here are five reasons why you should love Charlie Hunnam and trust that he will be able to rock this new role.
1) He’s a chameleon. Charlie can play anything from bright eyed innocence to world weary and jaded, vulnerable to intimidating. Don’t believe me? Here are just a few of Charlie’s many varied roles:
- Dirty and dreaded in Children of Men
- Clean-shaven and innocent in Nicholas Nickleby (see pic on right)
- Brutal albino in Cold Mountain
- Tough with a buzz cut in Green Street Hooligans
- Long-haired and short haired (but always intense) on Sons of Anarchy
2) He doesn’t just play a bad-ass on tv and in films; he IS one in real life. Watch this clip of him describing two encounters with a burglars in his home:(Bonus mention of spanking!)
3) He’s an extremely passionate guy. Listen to his episode of the Nerdist Podcast to hear how passionate he is about his project about Vlad the Impaler. You’ll also get expanded versions of the two stories of men attempting to break into his house, which includes more on how his anger was fueled by his need to protect his girlfriend; SWOON.
4) He’s an extremely fit guy.
He’s even willing to let us WATCH him working out:
5) And, speaking of what he’s willing to let us watch, the man apparently has no problem with nudity and/or sex scenes on film. I mean….
…solitary issue with it.
He’s going to be phenomenal as Christian Grey; I’m sure of it.
Shirtless Charlie Hunnam gif from the Pop Culture and Fashion Magic blog