Season 6 of Sons of Anarchy starts in a few short weeks after a seemingly interminable wait. (Seriously, FX gives us 13 episodes, then makes us wait NINE MONTHS for the show to return. I could gestate a human in that time; literally!)
Are you a watcher of the show? If you are not, I have a suggestion—well, more of a command for you: Go. NOW. Watch. Catch up. Then come back and read this afterwards because this post will be spoiler-filled. Seriously, though, why aren’t you already watching? The show has it all; Shakespearean-level drama, badass bikers, flawed alpha male heroes, strong women, cute kids, plot twists you don’t see coming, moments of pure hilarity and gut-wrenching sadness. It’s all there and waiting for you to sample it. Then get addicted. Then be strung out and jonesing for a hit when it’s gone. You know; kind of like crack. (Or so I’ve heard. Ahem.) Don’t let the drug reference keep you away, though. You’ll love it; trust me! Go start watching so you can join the rest of us when the show returns on September 10th on FX. For real; shoo! Go!
Now, for those of us in the know who have been anxiously waiting for the return, let’s catch up, shall we? When we left the gang, things were a little dicey:
- Jax is still The King but his kingdom is basically in shambles
- Bobby, angry at Jax for embracing his descent into…well…becoming Clay, turned in his VP patch.
- Clay is on his way to jail for killing Pope (which he didn’t actually do) after some inspired mom/son scheming by Jax and Gemma.
- Tara is on her way to jail for conspiracy to commit murder for inadvertently supplying Otto with the murder weapon that killed Nurse Pam. We aren’t quite sure how that came to be, but it sure seems Gemma is responsible.
- Otto is still around, sans tongue. Ugh.
- Nero (Jimmy Smits, who will be a regular cast member this season) and Jax still have a partnership, even though they are both weary of the lives they’ve chosen.
- Lee Toric (Donal Logue) did not get what he wanted from Otto but still wants revenge for his sister.
- Juice is still a miserable pawn, as he’s been for two seasons now.
- Wendy is still around and has even more reason to try to get custody of Abel now.
- Gemma has returned to her role as Queen B.
- Tig survived the season; something that did not seem likely. He did lose a daughter, but he gained a dog.
As Season 5 came to a close, the only people who seemed to have any measure of happiness were Tig, with his new dog buddy and Gemma, who found a way to rid herself of both Clay and Tara. Jax achieved some of his minor goals but he’s still in the club, he’s still in the drug business and his wife, who was secretly planning to leave with his kids to force him to act on his promise to get out of the club, is now in jail. So, what do we expect to see in Season 6?
Personally, I’m interested in the relationships and how they progress. I am firmly #TeamJax; always have been, always will be. Jax has done some despicable things but he hasn’t lost me as a fan. Being a fan of Jax, I fervently want him to be happy and I believe Tara is key to his happiness. I want to see them back together again. Season 2 of the series is still my favorite season and a large part of my love for that season is how happy Jax and Tara were that season. They were innocent, in a way, back then and I do not think they can ever return to that innocence after all that has been said and done. That said, I’d still like to see them together, as a productive, functioning, fulfilled couple. Unfortunately, I’ve been reading comments from the writers and the cast and it seems Jax and Tara have a rocky road ahead for them this season. Buckle up Jax & Tara shippers; it’s going to be a rough trip.
I’m also interested to see what happens with Nero and Gemma this season. They seemed to make a great couple and be good for each other but, if you look at how things ended for them both, there is a dichotomy there that should be explored. Nero tried to do everything he could to get himself out of his vicious, criminal life but ultimately failed. When we left, he was still firmly entrenched in “the life” and resigned to it. Gemma, on the other hand, did everything she could to hold onto her place in the violent, twisted world. Nero is reluctantly returning to the turbulence while Gemma is joyously embracing the mayhem. How will there strikingly different views affect the couple moving forward?
The uncertain romantic entanglements are not the only points to ponder heading into Season 6. Who will take the place of Opie in Jax’s life? Who will Tara be able to turn to now? She had an unlikely ally, of sorts, in Wendy. Will they develop a relationship, for the good of the children? What’s Bobby’s plan? Who will he align with now that he is disillusioned with Jax? How is the club even going to function at this point, with all of the turmoil swirling amongst the remaining members? Will Chibs and Juice still have the same relationship? I ask because the teaser below seems to suggest otherwise. In fact, the video below paints a picture of a turbulent season for everyone. I’m already nervous but I can’t wait! As usual, Season 6 seems primed to give us one helluva ride!