Here you have it: A complete play-by-play of all of the events in Kresley Cole’s MacRieve (Immortals After Dark #13), out today. This review is made up ENTIRELY of SPOILERS and is intended only as a place for fans to gather and discuss the book AFTER reading it, so if you have yet to finish, steer clear of anything after the jump. Go finish the book, then come back. (There’s a non-spoiler-y First Look of MacRieve here to whet your appetite, plus all our Kresley Cole content and a speculation post on Nix’s Perfect Mate here!)
MAJOR SPOILERS BELOW THE JUMP.
SPOILERS SO MAJOR THEY WILL RUIN THE BOOK FOR YOU IF YOU HAVEN’T READ IT.
YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.
***LAST CHANCE: Seriously, leave this post now if you haven’t finished MacRieve. This is a post to discuss the entire book. There’s a non-spoiler-y First Look of MacRieve here and other Kresley Cole content here.***
This books isn't for the faint of heart!:
- Uilleam fell in love with a succubus as a child—and yes, we're talking CHILD. At the beginning of the book he is 13 years old and has been visiting the bed of the succubus, the Lady Ruelle, for...wait for it...FOUR years. Yep, ladies and gents, he was NINE when he was abused by the succubus.
- The Ubus people use the sexual energy of their partners as sustenance—we've seen Incubus in past books with The Order (they raped a prison guard when they escaped), and again as they held Mariketa captive in Wicked Deeds on a Winter's Night, so we don't have very high opinions of them to start! After a partner has three visits with a -ubus, they become addicted and cannot stay away.
- Lady Ruelle tricked Uilleam into thinking she was his mate, thus making him even more protective of her outside of the addictive lust the Ubus people inspire.
- Upon realizing that Uilleam has been abused by Lady Ruelle, his parents race into the woods to avenge their little boy. His mother is pregnant with what they think is a little girl. Once she reaches the forest where Lady Ruelle lives, she is attacked and killed by vampires.
- Chloe is a world-class soccer player, about to enter into the Olympics when suddenly she can hear things—like her father/trainer from across the soccer field and her father's talking about weird things, like werewolves and vampires, soothsayers and being called Commander.
- It's official: Nix definitely betrayed her kind to The Order. Yes, we knew it, but in Chapter 2 we see her betraying Uilleam a.k.a. “call me MacRieve” to The Order, sending him into a trap. We know that Nix has the best intentions (mainly setting up several couples in The Order Prison), but can't we be in on the plan a little!
- After escaping the Prison, MacRieve is plagued by nightmares of the succubae and has totally lost his Instinct. With its silence, he contemplates suicide by the Fyre Dragán (the mythical dragon the killed Kaderin back in No Rest of the Wicked).
- We learn of the truly horrifying circumstances of Will's captivity—including vivisection (disecting a being while it was still awake, awake, and feeling pain), and then almost gang raped by succubae when The Pravus prisoners were freed by Dorada. Will killed Dr. Dixon, ripping her limb from limb in revenge for her experiments on him.
- Chloe is COMMANDER WEBB'S DAUGHTER! She has been kidnapped by a few witches from The House of Witches (who are rightly scared of what will happen if Mariketa and Carrow find out) and will be auctioned off to the high bidder, Pravus or Vertas, because of her tactical value to The Order.
- That one paragraph when you think: Oh no, do Munro and Uilleam have the same mate?! Don't worry, to each their own!
- That awkward moment when you realize your mate is the man you were just think of in terms of “that viscera coated moment.” And you thought YOUR in-laws were awful!
- Chloe is attacked as Will fights the Pravus centaur who won her in the auction. But Will (with the help of a voodoo priestess, and his brother's unlimited credit card) saves the day!
- After MacRieve saves Chloe lots of sexy times ensue. Because Chloe is human ( for now) MacRieve can't consummate the relationship fully, but don't worry they have lots of fun with what they can do!!
- Unfortunately these sexy times trigger Chloe change into...a succubus! Her tomboy-like haircut has frown out to seductive waves, she has fuller hips and breasts and all of her scars are gone (while instantly becoming a Victorias Secret model, Chloe was proud of those scars as a badge of honor for each event she had overcome). While becoming a Victorias Secret model is fun in theory, Will has a lot of built up rage about succubae and this is the straw that breaks the camels back. Will attacks her but for once the Lykae beast must reason with the man and takes control to protect Chloe from Will.
- Enter a brief interlude of big brother talks with the very worried Munro. Munro goes after Will and calms him down but Will still manages to take out a small forest with his rage.
- Munro goes on to drop some knowledge on Chloe, letting her know that Will still will never hurt her and Munro will die to protect her, his sister. They go for a walk and he lets Chloe know they she'll have to feed weekly or maybe even daily as a succubus off of the sexual energy of her partner. Chloe devises a plan: she used to be able to stave off her symptoms by eating food so she's going to eat like its a religion and she's the Pope!
- Will offers up Chloe to the Pravus army that has gathered outside the gates if the Lykae compound, letting them know that she will no longer be wanted by Webb because she's turned and so everyone should just clear off! It wasn't entirely clear if that was his original intention in taking her to the gate, or if he was going to give her over to the army to be played with. Either way, I think his final decision was the right one!! Two succubae step forward and demand Will turn Chloe over to them. In typical Lykae fashion he refuses.
- Rónan, a young Lykae to watch—I think he'll get his own book some day Ali g with the second generation Immortals like Thad, Ruby and the teen witches introduced earlier—imparts some wisdom too. Mostly that Will is an idiot.
Favorite Rónan Wisdoms:
“So let me get this straight. Your smokin' hot mate might use chemicals to make you want to do her. Except you already want to, so it's wasted chemicals. Then once you start having sex with her, you're going to keep wanting to, which would likely have happened anyway, because like I said, she's totally hot.”
when MacRieve tries to convince Rónan that there would be pain from being with a succubus: “is there no' always? It's called blue ballocks.”
- After four days of a grumpy and horny Lykae brooding, MacRieve sees that Chloe's attempts to keep herself nourished with real food is failing. She's cant keep any of it in. Munro convinces him to take her to Scotland to...feed her. We've all figured out what that means by now, right? Let the hanky panky begin!!!
- As MacRieve and Chloe pull up to Conall Keep, Will and Munro's ancestral home, Chloe begins her first strew, the scent given off by succubae to enthrall men and use there sexual energy. And you though things were interesting before!
- Will and Chloe's consummation is full of bitterness from Will's past. He's projecting Lady Ruelle's behavior onto Chloe, thinking she doesn't want to be mussed or touched too much when the opposite is true! To get over that, Will days he needs to have total control of the situation and fully dominate Chloe. We've learned that MacRieve particular brand of sex is that he can't control his beast during the act, giving the easy Nymphs the “mate experience” without the responsibility (by the way I'm waiting for the nymphs to get a heroine! They seem to get too bad of a rap not to!). Now while consummating with Chloe he struggles to control it even more but that makes it all the hotter.
- Unfortunate shortly after the feeding, his memories become too much and MacRieve runs to go vomit—how romantic!
- Will finally calls Nïx asking if his time in prison has “rebroken that bone” that never mended with Ruelle. Nïx says he has to bury his past before it buries him, and woo Chloe. 'Bought time in my opinion!
- After another brotherly chat with Munro, Will sets out to woo Chloe. She, meanwhile, puts the pieces together about MacRieve's past and realizes that he was the one to be seduced by a succubus, but doesn't realize yet how young he was or that because of the succubus his entire family was wiped out.
- MacRieve and Chloe go for a run and MacRieve let's it slip that to the North are the legend of the Primordial Lykae. Do you think they'll come into play in this Accession?? Another true myth perhaps?
- More naughty “feeding” ensues and some spanking! But all this sexy times and Will has yet to mark her!
- Will goes into the forest to seek answers so he can “ get right” for Chloe. Meanwhile Chloe isn't feeling well and wakes to search for MacRieve. She finds him burning down Ruelle's house in the forest. MacRieve finally tells her everything about Ruelle and his time in The Order Prison.
- Two succubae, the same from the wall back at the Lykae compound, appear. They are Chloe's aunt, Gisela, and cousin, Nieve. They are healers and say they can heal Chloe, who is dying from whatever is ailing her.
- The quartet go to the Ubus realm to diagnose and heal Chloe. It's the night of the full moon. Will sees that the Ubus people are not that different from the Lykae in that they are family based and take care of their young. Gisela apologizes for Ruelle's mistreatment of Will and shows her disgust.
- The Ubus also have fated mates. If they are mated, Ubus take energy but also give it back to their partners. Will worries that she might be his fated mate but he might not be hers.
- Chloe's mother was a hunter of evil Ubus—the best of them all. Mostly the Ubus in our realm are evil outcasts and that's why they've gotten such a bad rap.
- It's revealed that Webb held Chloe's mother captive and was going to kill them both but only killed Chloe's mother when Chloe's tests came back human. Kind of screws with your parent/child relationship!
- It turned out that MacRieve's feelings poisoned Chloe because some part of him hated her. The succubae venom then turns itself back on on the succubus. Chloe's family says she needs uncorrupted nourishment. They suggest consorts—MacRieve isn't pleased!
- Chloe's family allows Will to try one more time. He knows he loves her now and doesn't feel the hatred he did towards her people before. With their coupling (yeah I'm whipping out the old romance words!) Chloe is healed and MacRieve feels rejuvenated, proving he's her mate.
- Now that Chloe is healed, MacRieve makes her his mate in full and marks her.
- The happy couple are talking about their future and cuddling but Will is worried he hadn't heard from Munro. We find out he's gone missing while searching for warlocks who are turning Humans into Lykae.
- Webb reveals himself and as all of us feared he's become a creature—parts of several different things including demon, Lykae and Vampire. Webb makes her choose, saying the Loreans need to be destroyed. Webb disappears before MacRieve can kill him.
- In the epilogue: Madadh, a Lykae, has lost control and is beating Munro. This Warlock order kidnapped Munro because he has such a strong beast. The warlocks have also kidnapped Munro's mate!!!! Sad but now he's met her!!! Her name is Kereny and she looks like a gypsy. The warlocks have injected her with poison and to save her, Munro must turn her into a Lykae—only to have her enslaved by the warlock.
Stay tuned for more as Jenn finishes the book! Where are you at? Did you pull an all-nighter, or are you reading at a more leisurely pace? What did you think?
So what did you think?! Is MacRieve all you hoped? Is it as hot as KCole promised?
What did you think of Munro's mate? They are going to have a huge battle, especially since her final words were “I—hate—you.”
Let us know in the comments and come obsess with me!!!