Here you have it: A complete play-by-play of all of the events in J.R. Ward's Lover at Last (Black Dagger Brotherhood #11), out today. This review is made up ENTIRELY of SPOILERS and is intended only as a place for fans to gather and discuss the book AFTER reading it, so if you have yet to finish, steer clear of anything after the jump. Go finish the book, then come back. (There's a non-spoiler-y First Look of Lover at Last here to whet your appetite, plus a Qhuay timeline!)
MAJOR SPOILERS BELOW THE JUMP.
SPOILERS SO MAJOR THEY WILL RUIN THE BOOK FOR YOU IF YOU HAVEN'T READ IT.
YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.
***LAST CHANCE: Seriously, leave this post now if you haven't finished Lover at Last. This is a post to discuss the entire book. There's a non-spoiler-y First Look of Lover at Last here and a pre-Lover at Last Qhuay timeline here.***
All right, here we go:
• Qhuinn talks about his past, we find out that his family disowned him due to his birth defect (mismatched eyes).
• Qhuinn and John Matthew (JM from here on out) get rolled for their Escalade by a drug dealer working for Mr. C because Qhuinn “leftthekeysinit.”
They end up having V track the car and Qhuinn goes all nutty and ends up causing a crash that kills the carjackers and injures himself in the process.
• We find out Mr. C works for the Omega now.
• Layla starts to bleed and lose the baby and thinks about Xcor while she’s miscarrying.
• Qhuinn and Blay have a stare-down contest while they upright the Hummer (no that’s not a double entendre!) Then they get into a fight on the drive back.
• Trez avoids his duty and screws everything with breasts.
• Xcor and his Band of Bastards continue to try and overthrow Wrath. Meanwhile, Xcor is thinking about Layla.
• Saxton completes his work for Wrath, and realizes he has to break it off with Blay because he’s falling in love with him.
• We meet Sola Morte who is casing out a weird house on behalf of her contracted employer.
• Blay creeps on Qhuinn in the brotherhood gym and gets turned on. He watches him in the shower and then goes to a private room to jerk the tube steak.
• Trez talks to iAm about how screwed he is, he’s supposed to marry the Queen's daughter and they are sending people to talk with him, a discussion he keeps avoiding. iAm and Trez end up moving into the BDB mansion.
• Layla starts to bleed and cramp worse, so she ends up at Havers Clinic without telling anyone where she is going or why. When they find out who she is they refuse to tell her anything and will only talk to the Primale.
• Qhuinn has flashbacks to when the Honor Guard was sent after him.
• Saxton breaks up with Blay.
• Assail finds out he is the one that Sola has been casing, he immediately knows that it is because of Ricardo Benloise and goes to deliver a message. Sola is told to stop following Assail and to let it go, but she doesn’t, and Assail knows as much. They end up having a hot make out session. By the end of the book, Sola gets kidnapped and Assail is tasked with finding her.
• During a lesser attack, Z gets shot and because they are out in the woods far away from help Qhuinn decides to fly them back. Only problem is Qhuinn has never flown a plane before. They get back in one piece, but cause a ton of destruction on the way. Once they land, Qhuinn and Z have a bonding moment, tears are shed.
• We find out that Wrath has changed the laws so that Qhuinn can be inducted as a member of the BDB, thus relinquishing his job as JM’s personal bodyguard.
• Blay talks with his mother and unintentionally comes out to her. She says that she accepts him no matter who he is. He doesn’t want her to tell his father, he’d rather do that in person.
• Saxton comes into the mansion smelling like sex, Qhuinn freaks his shit and beats him nearly to death. He thinks that Blay’s been cheated on, and no one sets him to rights for a very long time.
• Blay confronts Qhuinn and they end up FINALLY getting down to sexy times. Too bad Qhuinn thinks that Blay is cheating on Saxton.
• Assail gets a call from Rehvenge about a Council meeting coming up. Assail refuses to get involved with either side.
• Phury finds out that Layla is pregnant and miscarrying, and completely freaks on Qhuinn. They get it together enough to take her back to Havers but not before the whole mansion hears what’s going on.
• Xcor having had Layla’s blood can track her, and he tracks her to the clinic and back. But on the way back she basically disappears into the mountains. Now Xcor has an idea where the BDB compound is.
• JM finds out that Qhuinn won’t be his bodyguard anymore and doesn’t realize why. He thinks he’s been fired.
• Qhuinn tells Blay what is happening with Layla and asks him to make it stop. Blay actually asks Payne to help Layla and she saves the baby. Qhuinn has no idea this has happened until later. After the emotional night, Qhuay gets it on.
• Wrath realizes he doesn’t want a baby, but that Beth really does. Thankfully she hasn’t had her needing yet so it hasn’t been an issue. But one female's needing will bring about another's.
• Trez meets the Chosen Selena at Rehv’s and gets a major crush on her.
• All the BDB boys go to the Council meeting; Wrath basically threatens all the wealthy families.
• Assail ends up beheading Elan because Elan pointed the finger at Assail, saying it was him that attempted to kill Wrath not the Band of Bastards. He’s conviently killed whilst on the phone with Xcor.
• While on a scouting mission, the guys find something suspended in oil drums full of Omega blood. Turns out Qhuinn’s brother Luchas wasn’t dead. Lash kept him broken and alive as a punishment for what he did to Qhuinn. Needless to say, Qhuinn is shocked and freaked out. He ends up having a heart to heart with Blay, which is ruined when V comes in.
• Qhuinn and Blay get it on after a feeding from Chosen Selena. Qhuinn gives up his top position for the first time with Blay.
• While Qhuinn’s in bed, a bunch of men in robes come into his room. Thinking it’s the Honor Guard, Qhuinn freaks out and starts throwing punches. He finds out that he is being inducted to the BDB, it’s the guys in robes, not the Guard.
• Xcor gets another insider who tells him the way to the throne is not by killing Wrath, but rather by awaiting his first born. Because Beth is halfbreed, that means their young will be as well, thus according to Wrath’s own father the young cannot lead.
• Luchas apologizes to Qhuinn for all the wrong their family did to him, he finds out that his parents and sisters were killed.
• Blay goes to visit his parents and tell his father that he is gay. It’s one of the best scenes in the book.
• Layla goes on a drive just to get out of the compound for awhile and ends up being tracked by Xcor. Instead of alerting the BDB, she has a conversation with him. They both are attracted to each other but don’t do anything about it.
• Blay and Beth notice Layla missing and Blay sets out to find Qhuinn. As soon as he gets to the Iron Mask, he gets told Layla is safe. But he sits with Qhuinn and finally tells him he’s not with Saxton anymore. Qhuinn confesses that he loves him and now they are together.
• Two weeks later, Qhuinn throws a surprise party for Blay. He gets dressed up, puts his piercings back in, and proposes to him in front of the entire BDB clan and Blay’s parents. They end up having their first dance to Journey’s “Don’t Stop Believing” in front of everyone…and live happily ever after.
So what did you think? Did you love it? Was it as hot as you thought it would be?
Natasha Carty reviews Paranormal Romance and Urban Fantasy on her website Wicked Little Pixie and lives in Toronto, Canada, with her cat, Seamus.