Jim Butcher’s Ghost Story (the 13th in the Dresden Files) has toppled George R.R. Martin’s A Dance with Dragons from the top spot of the hardcover fiction bestselling list this week, and while Dresden figures out how to deal with being non-corporeal, we thought we’d make a list of why Harry would be a great boyfriend:
1) He’s loyal, usually to a fault.
2) He’s smart. And a smart-ass.
3) He can do hella magic.
4) He’s got powerful friends.
5) He wears a long leather duster. Which means he always looks cool.
6) He likes women. He loves women. He likes the way they look, and appreciates how they make him feel.
7) He’s tall. Tall is good.
8) All of his family is gone*, so he’s free to accompany you home for every holiday.
9) He’s good-looking, but not so good-looking you’ll be paranoid about other women around him (not like, say, his half-brother Thomas).
10) You will never have to worry about outliving him, ‘cause he’s a wizard, and wizards age slower.
And why he might not be such a good catch:
1) He doesn’t have anywhere to live, not since vampires torched his apartment.
2) Wherever he goes there’s danger. One of his three paramours died (at his hands, it must be noted).
3) He’s got pets—an enormous dog and an enormous cat. They’re not super-shary animals, either.
4) Two of the three women in his life only got involved with him under the influence of external magic.
5) He’s got a mad crush on Karrin Murphy, and you won’t be able to compete with her smart, ass-kicking ways.
6) He eats poorly; his favorite restaurant is Burger King.
7) Because of his past romantic failures, he has issues with commitment.
8) He doesn’t have steady work, and therefore no steady pay.
9) Because of his wizardry, he’ll wreak havoc on all your technology. In other words, no iPad.
10) He’ll likely always win an argument and/or a trivia contest, because he’s really smart and knows pop culture way, way better than you do.
*Family he would theoretically want or be able to see on holidays, that is.
What characters from books that aren’t standard romance would make good BF material?